We often see the concept of teardrop, but many students do not understand the meaning of the word, let alone how to add teardrop in PCB design. Please look down with this question in mind
The effect of tear drops
● when the circuit board is impacted by a huge external force, the wire is disconnected from the welding pad or the contact point between the wire and the guide hole, which can also make the PCB more beautiful.
● when welding, the pad can be protected to avoid the shedding of the pad during multiple welding, and the uneven etching and cracks appearing in the deviation of the hole during production can be avoided.
● smooth impedance during signal transmission, reduce sharp impedance jump, avoid reflection caused by sudden decrease in line width during high frequency signal transmission, make the connection between wiring and component pads tend to smooth transition.
The way tears are added
To execute the menu command “tools-teardrops” or the shortcut key “TE”, enter the teardrop properties setting dialog box as shown in the figure below, and select the operation object:
Tear drop property Settings
● Working Mode-Add select Add teardrop command;
● object-all select the matching object, generally select “All” All; On the right side of the figure, corresponding objects will be adapted, including “Via/TH PAD (through-hole and through-hole welding PAD)”, “SMD PAD (SMD welding PAD)”, “Track (wire)” and “t-junction (t-node)”;